Monday 26 January 2015

#Microblog Mondays: Lammily



I broke down and did it.

I ordered a Lammily.



Lammily is the "realistic" fashion doll that came out in 2014 (funded by crowdsourcing). She is an alternative to the unrealistic fashion doll (also known as Barbie.) The website has all the details.

She and her super cool outfits (I ordered Scotland and Barcelona) as well as the "Lammily marks" (how neat is that idea) are pretty expensive and AJ won't be old enough to play with her for years, but I thought what the heck. It's fun that the first edition came out in AJ's birth year, and I really like the doll and the clothes.

The plan is to leave the doll in the packaging until AJ old enough to play with her, and then present to her for her birthday or whatever. If she is a tomboy and not into dolls well then mommy can play with it. Haha. The feminist in me kind of hates to admit it, but I loved Barbie as a little girl. I wasn't allowed to have many Barbies, however (for which I am now grateful). My mom also wouldn't buy many Barbie clothes; she told me I could learn to make my own clothes for them. She was right and I would pass time designing, crocheting and sometimes sewing outfits. Anyway, I think Lammily is better than Barbie and am glad that somebody came up with an alternate design.

On a related topic, here I am daring to think of AJ as a little girl. It's still much too much for me to do that often (because her babyhood goes by so fast and because, well, it still feels like tempting fate) but sometimes I can do it. Sometimes I will think of some fun things we could one day experience in a future as a family, and I feel so excited.  Lammily is the tiniest fraction of it. (Right now my fantasies mostly have to do with seeing new places, because I'm a bit obsessed with travel for some reason. Maybe it's all the time spent in the house, but I'm both very nostalgic about my travel experiences, and really looking forward to exploring with AJ.)

Anyone else have a memory of a favourite toy, or a toy you're looking forward to introducing to a child or future child? or a place you want to explore with your child. I can't wait to take AJ to the ocean!

Microblog-o-rama has all the cool links - go there and leave yours!


14 comments:

  1. I did love my barbies too, but I was really more of a stuffed animal girl. Pound puppies, care bears, any sort of plush cute animal! Like you I am really thinking about travel now (maybe because it has been awhile), and one day I really look forward to taking a little one to the cabin (where my parents will soon be retiring) to play in the meadow, with kites, kiddie pools, and whatever other outdoor toys are around, and down to the lake to fish and swim. Of course, that will involve a massive long-haul flight over the pacific, so it unfortunately won't be a common occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, the grandparents' cabin sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I think those early experiences with nature stay with you forever. My parents are really excited to have AJ visit at their summer place, which was also our summer place when I was growing up. I hope their health is good enough that we can go this year. I had lots of stuffed animals too and enjoyed them. My mom tried to get me to like baby dolls (because that was what she liked as a child) but I was never that in to them. I would play with them like they were grownups lol.

      Delete
  2. I have a doll I was given for my tenth birthday and always dreamed I'd give it to my daughter on her tenth birthday. Now I actually have daughters I wonder what they'll make of an ancient dolly - perhaps I'll just tell them it would mean a lot to me if they were kind to her! I don't think they'll be all that keen : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty cool that you still have your doll and can pass her on. I guess I technically have many of my dolls but they are probably too tattered to give to a child. I was rather hard on my toys - they would start riots and fight in battles and stuff (I have two older brothers). Your daughter might be really interested in the stories behind the doll too - a piece of history.

      Delete
  3. I have seen Lammily and love her! It's too bad she's so much more expensive. My mom banned Barbies and instead got us Darcy, Barbie's flat-footed, slightly bigger-boned counterpart (I don't think she exists anymore, and Lammily is much better). But then our minister's daughters outgrew their ginormous collection of Barbies and pools and dream houses, and we were gifted them...and you can't say no to clergy! I hope that Lammily takes off, because while I loved my Barbies I never could see myself in them. I love that you are saving her in her packaging for when AJ is older! I think it's beautiful to enjoy today but to look forward to the little girl times, when you can share so much more with your daughter. The ocean will be super special (it was for me!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled Darci after reading your comment as I'd never heard of her before (I was born at the very end of 1979, so not surprising!) I'm a bit disappointed that I don't see a big difference between her and Barbie from the photos, but I guess I'd have to see them side by side. Wow, you must have been ridiculously excited to get all those Barbies and accessories as a gift! I never had any accessories....but did internalize some lessons about budgeting and limiting materialism in my life, so all's well that ends well lol. I do hope Lammily is a success as I think the design is wonderful and the story of how the doll was created is so 21st century. But in any case I'm looking forward to getting mine/AJ's. It will take a lot of self-control not to rip her out of the box right away.

      Delete
  4. I am already super excited to take Chalupa Batman to Maine with M's folks this summer. All we do is beach and outlet shopping, none of which he'll get anything out of, but I'm so excited to be able to start to share this family tradition with our son! Lammily seems really cool, good on you for supporting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine sounds beautiful to visit. I've only seen pictures, but I would visit there for sure (of course there's dozens of places I'd love to visit, and those are just the ones I know about). I'm sure once Chalupa Batman is here you will start some new traditions that he will be able to participate in!

      Delete
  5. I loved introducing them to Playmobil. I was a huge Playmobil fanatic, and the twins have so many sets. It bums me out that they rarely play with them anymore.

    I think it's cool that you bought Lammily. You're participating in toy history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had Playmobil, but it looks awesome! Anything that encourages a child's imagination is the best.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely post! You reminded me of my favourite toys from childhood: my dog (I christened him Timmy after the Famous Five books), my large teddy bear who now looks a bit age-worn, my box of blocks, my magic drawing board and my mechano-set. Those were the days! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I helped bring back some good memories. Favourite toys can be the perfect portal to the imagination! You comment reminded me of my first toy dog. I was afraid of dogs as a child and certainly never wanted a real dog, but for some reason I wanted a toy dog very much LOL. I have large teddy bear that my mom made for me when I was really too old for a teddy bear, but now he can be passed on to AJ when she's bigger.

      Delete
  7. Fun! I've been wondering about Lammily. We love Legos and lincoln logs, but I'm also hoping that N. wants to play with American Girl ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I am learning about so many new toys through this entry. (In my defense for being ignorant we had almost no new toys as kids, though as many second hand as we wanted, and I haven't had much exposure to young kids over the years.) Lincoln logs look awesome. The American Girl dolls have a cool concept, and look like they are high quality.

      Delete