Tuesday 15 January 2013

still bobbing at the wharf.


This blog is one step in an unexpected journey. 

It isn't the first step, but it feels like a freighted one.

This is my fertility blog.

I can't bring myself to write "infertility blog," though obviously, infertility is the issue. Otherwise I would be having babies right now, not blogging about how it's hard to have a baby. However, I'm goal-oriented, and "infertile" sounds like a dead end. At least at this point in our journey, I'm holding on to the idea that we are not at a dead-end, but at a bend in the road, a change in the itinerary, a foray into the fuzzy part of the map. We're bobbing at the wharf, one toe in the water, anxious, but....looking ahead with something like optimism.

What's torthúil?

I'm not much for learning foreign languages, but I have an affection for dead or rare ones.  According to the online Irish dictionary, "torthúil"means "fertile" or "fruitful."  So the title: "Fertile Journey" or "Fruitful Journey."  There, that's the optimism again. Honestly I don't know how to pronounce it, but the look of the word also reminds me of "Turtle," or "Tortoise" and turtles are just awesome. So I guess that could make me and my husband Mr. and Mrs. Turtle.

The word also looks vaguely like "torture." Which brings to mind the existential and sometimes physical anguish of infertility. Which I have yet to really experience, and here's hoping for the best. But we are venturing into risky territory.

So,  there's part of the introduction. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I know, but it's the beginning of this new online alter ego. It will take me a while to get used to it.

Sincerely, The Turtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment